Suspended Shower


After a year-long struggle with my bamboo shower, I finally turned to plastic. As reluctant as I was, I knew I could make it semi-presentable. I was also tired to the bone of digging holes! Holes for posts, for poo, you name it. After a bit of online research, I found an idea for a suspended shower that would require digging absolutely no holes! In the online photo, a camper tied a piece of string from one tree to another. Then clipped a cylindrical cloth structure to the string using a carabeener. I was inspired by the simplicity of it!

I set to work clearing out all remnants of my previous shower- the bamboo walls, wooden floor, rocks, nails and string. As I worked on my suspension structure, I allowed the ground to harden once more and get some fresh air! First I tied a long string from my mango tree to my upstairs balcony. This would serve as my main suspension string. Then I made a cylinder with my old hula hoop and tarp. To my dismay, it turned out to be a very snug fit. Preston gave me the idea to make it a rectangle shape instead. With extra 1/2″ PVC tubing, I measured and cut the length to match the old wooden door frame (which I would use as the floor’s measurement). To connect the four pieces, I purchased 1/2″ elbows. Then I criss-crossed pieces of string from one side to the other; on each side. Where they all met in the center, I secured a carabeener. This would be clipped on to the long string above. For the walls, I found a dark green tarp that would blend in better with the natural surroundings. I secured it to three sides of the pipe rectangle, leaving the doorway open. For the door, I found adorable green flower fabric that would blend in and add some charm. After sewing it to the top beam and securing it to the siding tarp, the walls were ready to go. To add more security, I tied the two ends of the rectangle to the long string as well, and on each end outside of the shower, propped the string up with tall bamboo shafts.

Now to the floor! With 1/3 bag of cement and a saquito of sand, I whipped up concrete. Set in the wooden door frame, I layered it on. To make the entrance a bit niftier, I place broken bits of Calabasa shell in a waving sun design. These would eventually fall out, but the design would still be in place. I moved the outer rocks closer and designed them to fit snuggly along the wooden frame. Sunflowers and Bird of Paradise now grow around the outside, to continue the “blending” effect. It has been wonderful not having termite issues with the plastic and concrete. I am still apprehensive; waiting for something to go wrong! Ever since I moved into this house the shower has been a struggle…but it is always something to improve upon and keep myself busy with. It is all an experiment here! What is your shower




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s